Sunday, February 26, 2017

Evaluation and Assessment

Use in the Classroom
·         In the early elementary classroom setting, we touch on planets briefly. Using the multimedia assessment with a video shifts the responsibility from the teacher to the student. This gets students to become independent and not have to rely on a teacher always. This also teaches the students good testing strategies, where they can go back and re-read or in this case re-watch the video to find the information necessary. I would like to use this assessment before we begin a lesson or unit so the students gain some knowledge prior to the lesson presented. This will hopefully help the students gain some confidence about a topic.
·         The students will be able to become independent learners by watching a video and answering questions based on that video. There will not be a time limit. By listening, watching, and working at their own pace gives an opportunity for those students who may struggle or find it hard to concentrate during a lesson. This will also help those students gain some information that they normally wouldn’t during a teacher led lesson.
·         I can incorporate project based learning into my teaching almost on a weekly basis especially in science. The STEM standards require a student to be an independent learner and to use that create side using information provided. 
·         The factors that could hold back my students and my classroom is the cost and motivation. Many of my students come from families who are low income. The school also does not have the money set aside to provide and establish PBL. Motivation is also a factor. A good chunk of my students simply lack the motivation necessary to complete projects that are all student lead. This is something that I’ve been working with my students on since day one. Once we get the students in the right mindset, I believe they will become more successful.
Application
·         The Principles for Designing Multimedia Instruction with my lesson that were used are the Coherence Principle, the Redundancy Principle, and the Pre-training Principle. All three of these principles were purposely used for the use of technology with my lesson. The Coherence Principle uses multimedia to present a lesson. I used the Space video to present some information to the student before beginning the lesson presented by myself, which is incudes the Pre-training Principle. The third principle, Redundancy, using graphics and on screen information which is also evident in my video.
Reflection
·         This week I have discovered several more resources to use in my classroom. I’m excited to use this technology and share it with my students. I have used technology as an assessment tool before this week and it really does make my life easier because I don’t have to spend hours grading and the students get their results instantly.
·         I really enjoyed the Multimedia Assessment especially by using a video. I think my students will really enjoy this too. They also like when we watch videos on anything in the classroom. I’m hoping the students will take advantage of this technology in a positive way.
·         I have found many new resources to use this week that will be very effective in my classroom. I believe the students will really enjoy this technology as much as I do.

Rubric  
   
Poll       

Multimedia Assessment      






2 comments:

  1. I love the video you found to use. Even though I'm certified to teach Earth and Space science there was information in there I didn't know, like how there are 42 dwarf planets in our solar system. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome video though I believe Pluto got totally dissed in the end. 42 other dwarves besides Pluto? Dang, I guess that beats the seven I'll remember. But I will claim Dopey status because I did whiff on the outer two regions. Cool assessment, congrats.

    ReplyDelete