Sunday, February 12, 2017

Augmented Learning

Use in the Classroom
·         In the early elementary classroom setting, we touch on planets briefly. Using QR Codes is a quick and easy way for students to discover, compare, and contrast the planets in our solar system. They will also gain some independence by being able to choose which QR Code they would like to scan first, second, and so on.
·         The students will be able to use QR Codes to discover the, now, 8 planets in our solar system. They will be able to simply watch videos or read all about the planets. They will also see visuals of the planets and where they are located. The visual representations will give the students a better understanding of the planets including what they are made of such as water, gas, and so on.
·         I would like to use many different types of technology in my classroom. QR Codes will make the students curious simply because they won’t know what is going to pop until the scan the code. This will keep the students very interesting and on task, which most technology does. Using augmented learning is a great idea especially for those students who may learn better with visuals or for any students in general. Using 3D representations of objects will also help students to fully understand those tougher or more difficult concepts.
·         Being in the school setting that I’m in, we don’t have the appropriate technology which will hold us back on some technological advancements in the classroom. I believe to get these new resources we/I will need to apply for grants that support technology in the classroom. Using such technology will be greatly benefit the students.
Application
·         The Principles for Designing Multimedia Instruction with my lesson that were used are the Signaling Principle, the Redundancy Principle, the Segmenting Principle, and the Modality Principle. Of these four principles three were purposely used for the use of technology with my lesson.
·         I applied the Redundancy, Segmenting, and Modality Principles to my lesson when creating it. The Redundancy Principle uses on screen narration and images. The Segmenting Principle is learner paced, so the students will be able to take their time instead of having to keep up with the rest of the class. Lastly, the Modality Principle uses words rather than written material. I intentionally used these principles while designing my lesson.
Reflection
·         Augmented Learning is a great resource to use in the classroom especially when differentiating instruction. It does however, require a lot of time to be set aside to get everything set up and organized. The QR Codes seem to be a little easier to manipulate versus the Aurasma (for example).
·         I haven’t used QR Codes before but they are something I would try to use with the right technology. There are also many other resources that I didn’t know about that allow us to use images to give out more information.

·         I don’t necessarily think there were tensions between the technology and resources but I did struggle with maneuvering the technology myself. I would like to spend some more time looking at the technology that was provided this week to incorporate in my classroom.


1 comment:

  1. My students LOVE everything science related. Unfortunately, with core reading and math demands increasing it seems like we never have enough time for engaging science lessons. I love how simple this would be to incorporate into everyday classroom life. This is a really great idea.

    ReplyDelete