Sunday, February 19, 2017

Concept/Mind Mapping

Use in the Classroom
·         In the early elementary classroom setting, we touch on planets briefly. Using Concept and Mind Mapping is an easy way to compare and contrast a topic and subtopics quickly.  I would use this at the beginning of a lesson(s) to give a brief explanation of our Solar System and the planets in the Solar System. The students could compare the other planets to Earth.
·         The students will be able to use the Mind Mapping tool to quickly review a topic, begin a new topic or create their own after a lesson or unit is complete. I would first use the map that I created on the Solar System as an introduction to what we will discuss. The map would be a starting point where it briefly shows what will be discussed. The more we get into the lesson(s), the more details that will be provided. Towards the end and as a review the students can easily go back and look at the map again.
·         I would incorporate collaboration into my teaching by encouraging students to work together using the technology that has been provided. They will collaborate in this case to choose a few of the planets and briefly describe those planets in an outline format. They will then share with the rest of the class their findings and information. 
·         Being in the school setting that I’m in, each student has a chromebook so therefore I would encourage the students to use google docs so they can easily share even when working independently. Each student can complete their task and in the end combine all their efforts.
Application
·         The Principles for Designing Multimedia Instruction that were used in my design and lesson were the Coherence Principle, the Signaling Principle, and the Spatial-Contiguity Principle. By using the Coherence Principle, I only included the important information on the screen. I used different colors to force the learner to connect those colors using the Signaling Principle. Lastly, I made sure to keep everything near each other so the students could easily compare and contrast which is the Spatial-Contiguity Principle.   
Reflection
·         I’ve used Concept and Mind Mapping in my classroom before but now I have more resources to use to make those maps. I have used it as a collaboration tool and an introduction piece, just like in my example this week.
·         This week, to me, was definably an easier week just because I am used to using maps. I did use a different resource than what I am used to, to challenge myself and to get other resources.
·         As I mentioned earlier I have used Mind Maps before but I have gained new resources this week.






References
Mayer, Richard E. (2009). Applying Science of Learning in Education. Research-Based Principles for Designing Multimedia Instruction.
KidsAstronomy.com (1998-2017).All Solar Planets Printing Page. http://www.kidsastronomy.com/the_planets.htm
KidsAstronomy.com (1998-2017). Our Solar System. http://www.kidsastronomy.com/the_planets.htm
YouTube. (2013, July 29). The Solar System Song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUZ2tfr1bsU

1 comment:

  1. Well done on the concept map. It was easy to follow and has a lot of great information (it did seem a bit short since Pluto is gone). I also liked the Kids Astronomy website. Although the design isn't the best, it does have some awesome information for students. Great job this week!

    ReplyDelete