Sunday, February 5, 2017

Using Videos To Convey Information

Use in the Classroom

I would use this video in my classroom as an aide to my lesson.  I would first teach the students, in a longer lesson, how to take a mixed number and turn it into an improper fraction. This video would be use in case the students need to review how to complete the task whether it’s a day after the lesson if they are reviewing for the unit assessment.  The students will be able to easily review how to make a mixed number an improper fraction. There would be other videos and lessons on the opposite, taking an improper fraction and turning it into a mixed number.  The students will be able to practice with the video to check for understanding.  If they did not get the correct answer the video will explain how to get the correct answer.  One of the downsides of using this video as a review would be the case if we, as a school did not have internet access for the day or if the students needed to review at home and didn’t have internet at their house.

Application
The design principles I used for my instructional multimedia lesson were the Redundancy Principle, the Modality Principle, and the Voice Principle.  The Redundancy Principle uses graphics and narration.  In my short video I had images on the screen as well as a narration to go along with those images. The Modality Principle uses spoken words instead of printed words.  My video uses both as far as the numbers go. I did not have every word on the screen, I only included the important ideas.  Lastly, I used the Voice Principle. The principle says that students will be more successful listening to a human voice instead of a computer animated voice. I intentionally used the Voice and Modality Principle in my video. I believe that this is supporting creativity in the classroom because it is allowing the students to see different and fun ways that their education can be presented to them. I am hoping this will encourage my students to think in different, creative ways, that are outside of the box.

Reflection:
·         This week I continued to find more resources and ways to present ideas to my students.  Instead of making it the usual I teach, you listen, we can incorporate create videos by either making them or watching videos professionally done or by their peers.
·         I think using videos such as the videos we made and looked at this week could have a great impact in a child’s education.  If they video isn’t made by me the students may be able to hear and get ideas on how to solve problems from another teacher.  I think it would be interesting to get the other teachers in my school to create videos as review for when a student moves to the next grade level. So if a fourth grade student doesn’t remember how to do something that was taught in third grade, they can go back and look at those review videos.
·         I think the most difficult part about this week was trying to get the voice to match up with what was on the screen.  That was my biggest frustration to me.  It would be interesting and I’m curious if other software is out there that makes it easier to combine your voice and the text on the screen. 
·         I enjoyed the thought of creating a video that would help my students especially those students who tend to struggle.  They would be able to go back and watch the video as many times as they would like until the understand the topic.    










No comments:

Post a Comment