Sunday, February 5, 2017

Evaluating a Found Video

The video that I chose to evaluate is a Math Antics video on long division.  This video is targeted for fourth and fifth grade classrooms.  I have used this video in my own classroom as a educational aide.  I like to use videos like this so the students can hear it from someone else in case they aren’t fully understanding the subject how I am teaching it. I can also play the video multiple times until the students feel comfortable with the concept/topic.  Our district policy says that we can use internet access/videos for educational purposes.  This video would classify as an educational video due to the fact that it is a fourth grade standard that students know how to divide.
The Math Antics video does a good job explaining long division to the students.  There is a video prior to this one that explains how to do simple division.  The only downside to the video is that it does move fast.  Since it is a video online I can show the video multiple times or the students can watch the video on their Chromebooks if they need extra support.  After reviewing the 10 Factors and Design Principles for Multimedia Instruction, I feel that this video fully supports all but two factors.  The video does a great job of staying on topic and keeping it at age/grade level.  As I mentioned earlier, I use this video in my classroom as an educational aide so the students can hear it from more than one person.  The video meets the standards of the school for fourth grade as far as division goes. The video is easy to follow and keeps the students interested.  They put a few jokes in the video that most students get.  I can show the video as much as I would like or the students can use their Chromebooks to watch the video.  There are other videos from Math Antics based on different topics that I teach.  I have watched the videos carefully to make sure what they are teaching the students is correct so therefore I do find it credible.  This video has the standard rights that every YouTube video has. I do not believe this is the best method for a student to learn, I believe the teacher is the best method.  The video does not have any links that go with the content but they do have other videos on other math topics.







1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel,
    I may start using the Math Antics video you found with my students. I agree that is is aimed at a lower grade level but so many of my high school students have forgotten how to do long division. Watching this video may be a great way to review it before they have to apply long division to something more difficult like when dividing polynomials.

    ReplyDelete