Friday, January 20, 2017

Copyright and Creative Commons


Use in the Classroom or Educational Setting
o   IDEA- During their fourth-grade year the students have an Energy Unit. This unit covers what energy is, the different forms of energy, energy transfer, conservation of energy, and energy and force. I will use this as an introduction to the unit.

o   The students will be able to get the main ideas of the unit before beginning the unit. Once we do get into the unit they will be able to reflect on what they discovered on the Padlet.

o   Copyright- My fourth graders are getting to the point in their education where they are researching and beginning to write papers/reports. By incorporating a mini copyright lesson in with the pre-cursor of the unit, the students will be able to compare the copyrights, and how I found and placed them with the work, with how to cite their findings in their own work. I will explain that what they are looking at on the Padlet is somebody else’s work and they deserve the credit for it. I will also explain that they need to take this into consideration as they begin to write research papers.

Application
o   The design principles for multimedia instruction align with my lesson because I am having my students look and go through many sources before I teach the lesson and unit to the students. They will have some background knowledge and a basic understanding of the vocabulary words and what energy is by the time they compete the Padlet. The principles align with the Padlet technology because it allows the students to see printed words but the students could also watch videos or manipulate and idea online (with how I used PhET). Students will be more successful when they have options and different ways of learning rather than the same way of the information begin presented to them the same way.

o   When my students are using the Padlet they will be applying Segmenting Principle and the Pre-Training Principle. The first, Segmenting, because they can go at their own pace. If they want to re-read something or re-watch something they can without slowing anyone else down. The Pre-Training Principle explains that the student will learn better when they know the key words and materials before discussing it as a class. We could have a more in-depth conversation and lesson when all my students are on the same page.

o   When designing my Padlet I intentionally used the Pre-Training Principle. I wanted to make sure my students knew what energy was and the several types of energy. I wanted the students to explore energy and what changes they would need to make to create a type of energy (PhET).

Reflection
o   Before this week I would pick a video or show something to my students without thinking of copyrights. After this week and attempting to find resources, I have discovered that some of the sources I use during the day at school may have some copyrights on them that are specific. I will make sure that I am paying attention to these copyrights more than what I have in the past.

o   This week, the fact that there are different type of copyrights and they are very specific as to what you can do with them, stood out to me. I thought a copyright is a copyright, you can’t do anything with it but in fact you do have options with certain copyrights such as the share-alike attribution.

o   The one tension that I noticed was how some students learn better when having a conversation, the Personalization Principle. With my Padlet, the students would not be able to accomplish this. If a student learns best from having a conversation, they would have to wait until the lesson/unit is being taught which may put them a little behind those students who can learn by segmenting and pre-training.

o   I enjoyed practicing and creating another resource for my students. This is something that I didn’t know was out there but it is something simple that the students can use and even create on their own.

o   My skill and understanding of copyright laws has grown from knowing very little to knowing the necessary basics. I was able to apply what I discovered to create a Padlet. I am able to now decipher what it means to be a typical copyright that seems to be more to common to a copyright that allows you to make adjustments but not reproduce.







Made with Padlet

1 comment:

  1. Hello Rachel it is nice to meet you! I enjoyed looking over your padlet. You have several useful resources for students to use; phet is always a great resource.

    I was drawn to the information that was in your padlet finding it it very interesting and found the need to share some information with you if you are interested. What I found interesting is the idea of teaching students about energy forms. I am a 7th/8th grade science teacher and taught my 8th graders about energy forms until recently. Last school year, I started working with Michigan State University on a new way of teaching students about energy. We actually don't teach our students different forms of energy anymore because students in general seem to struggle with knowing all the different kinds of energy that exist and how they get transformed from one form to another. Now, I have the privilege to teach my students a way that focuses on systems and energy transfers between systems. We actually don't teach our students about forms anymore and talk about energy as just being 1 kind... energy and focus on how energy behaves. I am curious to see when this shift in thinking about energy will be spread to other schools and states as well and possibly even your own... I imagine it will be at least 10 years or so before we truly start seeing a difference ;)

    ReplyDelete